Salem is a certified 100% employee owned company. An employee stock ownership plan allows employees to directly benefit from company growth and profitability brought about through their own hard work. Since 2000, Salem has made annual contributions to the employee stock ownership plan for all eligible employees. Our employee-owners are invested in delivering success!
Salem Distributing Company, Inc., through each of our four divisions – SALEM Flat Glass & Mirror, SALEM Stone, SALEM Vision and SALEM Advanced Surfaces, employs people in locations across the United States in addition to our facilities in North Carolina, California and Toronto, Canada.
Salem offers employee-owners the stability of a recognized leader in the industries it serves, along with the chance to learn, grow, advance and make a difference. As a private company, we are all stakeholders in this business and all have a common goal to make Salem a profitable company and a place to grow as individuals. We strive to be a workplace that people are attracted to, and like to think we take the extra steps to make sure our employees are happy on the job with a Health and Wellness Committee, opportunities for community involvement and flexible work schedules in addition to offering benefits such as health, dental, and vision insurance, retirement plans, paid vacation, and much more.
We offer equal employment opportunities for all qualified applicants, regardless of race, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability, or any other legally protected status.
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Operations
Job Responsibilities: The Warehouse Manager is customer focused, process oriented, detail oriented, has a need to maintain the warehouse organized and clean, and holds himself and his team accountable. Also follows, enforces, and improves standard procedures. Is responsible for management of the shipping and receiving personnel in the North Carolina warehouse and is responsible for directing the Canadian warehouse team. This position will also be responsible for physical control and management of inventory, logistics, warehousing, and shipping cost controls.
Duties and Responsibilities Include:
• Manage shipping, receiving, warehousing, and distribution operations by initiating, coordinating, and enforcing program, operational, and personnel policies and procedures.
• Manage distribution to ensure high level of customer service to customers.
• Implements sound product movement controls such as FIFO.
• Controls inventory levels by conducting physical counts.
• Achieves financial objectives by preparing an annual budget; scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions.
• Negotiates bids for service with carriers.
• Manages the flow of paperwork in the warehouse so that all receiving, distribution, transfers, and the necessary data input are timely accomplished and accurately recorded.
• Plans the pickup and delivery schedule of goods and products.
• Reviews and relays shipping charges for each transaction to accounts payable.
• Completes warehouse operational requirements by scheduling and assigning employees; following up on work results.
• Maintains warehouse staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees.
• Maintains warehouse staff job results by coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results.
• Directs the third-party warehouse team in Canada.
• Collaborates with the California warehouse team.
• Ensures shipping-related complaints are resolved in a professional and proactive manner.
• Continuously improves the operation through 5’s and other LEAN practices.
• Abides by Salem’s safety policies and procedures.
• Embrace the ESOP Culture.
This job description is not intended as a complete list of all job duties. The incumbent may be required to perform other duties and tasks.
Qualifications/Education – To be successful in the role you will need:
• 4-year college degree, or 2 -year degree with 2 years of experience, or 4 years of experience in related work
• Ability to communicate effectively; both orally and written
• Ability to motivate and direct employees
• Ability to identify and nurture talent
• Good planning and organizational skills
• Maintain a proactive and positive attitude
• Ability to multi-task
• Proficient computer skills
• Microsoft Office a Plus
• Powered Industrial Truck (Forklift) Operator’s License a plus
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand.
• The employee is occasionally required to sit and talk or hear; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
• The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 90 pounds.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
This job description is intended to provide general information about the position. It is not an employment contract. As with all positions, the responsibilities, duties, and requirements of this job may change. The company, in its discretion, may alter this job description at any time with or without notice.
To apply for this position, send your resume and interest letter to Leslie Ellis at email@example.com.
Salem Distributing Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.